Saturday, December 11, 2010

A Kind-Hearted Stranger

Thursday we had a little bit of a scare. That afternoon the husband and I headed out to run a few errands, and right as we were getting into town he got a call. The number was unrecognized, but thankfully he decided to answer.

“Hey, I just picked your dog up off the highway.”

WHAT?!?! They talked for a minute, and the guy said the dog was okay and he was calling the number on its tag. OH MY GOD!!! How did she get out??? The husband whipped the car around, and we had the longest ten minute drive back towards our house ever! We were running through the possible situations as we drove. We saw her sitting in the kitchen when we left, and I closed and locked the door behind me. Did a window break?? Did someone break in and leave the door open??

Finally we pulled up to the spot where the guy was at, and sure enough he had our dog! I began crying immediately, so happy she wasn't hurt. He was soooo nice. He asked if she’d been missing long, and all I could get out was a stammered “No, we just left the house!” and a whole bunch of thank yous over and over. You could see our house from there, so he must have picked her up right after she got out. Thank goodness for people like him!

So we started driving back to the house, still panicked because we figured if the dog was out, the cat must have gotten out also (the new puppy was in his crate, thank goodness!!). As we neared the house we saw the door was open, and thankfully the cat was just hanging out in the front yard. I thought he would have taken the opportunity to run, but I guess he truly is my sweet, lazy housecat. We parked a bit up the road and calmly walked up to him. His fur was all puffed out and he was totally freaked. I grabbed him, and the husband checked out the house, which was empty of burglars and nothing was missing.

We examined the door, and apparently the latch had somehow broken and didn't catch when we shut it. Geez. The door now stays dead bolted, and I've been trying to get the maintenance man to call me back.

I feel so lucky. This could have turned out a lot worse. All night, all the “what ifs” kept running through my head, but luckily we don’t have to worry about that and everyone is safe at home.

Passed out together, happy and safe at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment