Thursday, January 3, 2013

Holiday Magic

I always thought Christmas and New Year's had a bit of magic to them. They seem to bring excitement and hope. My favorite time of year is the span between Halloween and New Year's Day. The air starts getting a bit crisper (well, sometimes... a lot of times here in NC it's warm until mid December), people get a little bit nicer, and I start anticipating the feeling of togetherness the holidays bring.

This year was a little different though, and if I recall correctly, last year was too. Christmas was very nice, but the magic wasn't there. It felt rushed and something to just get through so I could go home. New Year's was less than stellar too. I usually feel a bit of excitement to see the clock change and know we're at the beginning of a brand new year with new hopes and possibilities, but I really just didn't care this time around.

Does that just happen when you get older? Have I lost my childlike wonder?  Will I get it back when I have kids and get to see it through their eyes?

As silly as it may sound, I think part of it is the lack of winter break since getting out of school. With all the working through the season and only getting one day off, it makes sense that the magic slowly disappears. I think life would be better with a summer vacation too.

No comments:

Post a Comment