Saturday, November 30, 2013

More Bullet Points

I don't know why I don't write as much anymore.  Every time I sit down to do it I draw a blank.  I get to thinking that when I'm happy there's not a whole lot of interesting thing to write about.  So, here's a list in no particular order...

- The roommate became officially engaged yesterday.  Her fiance flew over late Thanksgiving day and will be with us for a week.  He proposed yesterday morning, and she's crazy happy.  They have this long plan, but the basics of it all is that they're getting married on paper at the courthouse next week, which I will be the witness of.  Then they'll have an actual wedding sometime next year, which she asked me to be maid of honor at.  Eeeeek!

- Thanksgiving was good.  My mother had to go into work in the afternoon, so we had a lunch.  The boyfriend had to work all day, so I took him a big plate of leftovers.  I headed to my "sisters'" parents' house for desserts and hanging out in the evening.  It was a good day.

- For once, it felt awesome to be surrounded by kids at Thanksgiving.  My sisters' three kids are three weeks, 10 months, and two years old... and I got to play with them all.  Usually I shy away, but these kids are definitely family.  When someone asked if anyone wanted to hold the smallest for a bit, I jumped right up and savored the opportunity.  I see her every week, but I love holding that little one.  Being around them makes me feel more confident about how I'll be as a mother one day.

- I am now known for my caramel pecan pie.  I made a couple for a staff potluck a couple of weeks ago and had a coworker ask if I'd make her one for Thanksgiving, which I did.  She asked me for more at Christmas, as did another coworker.  Making a few bucks in the process, not too shabby.  I took one to my parents' house.  I took one to the dinner at the sisters', and it had been highly anticipated.  One particular "in-law" loved it so much last year and had been looking forward to it this year.  I may start taking one every time I visit them, haha.

- The boyfriend and I are still doing amazingly!  His work schedule is about to change, so we'll get two whole days to spend with each other during the week now instead of one.  I can't wait!  He's about to get a decent raise soon too, which I know will help him.  He works so hard, and I'm so proud of him.

- He's going to help me put up my new Christmas tree next week, which is beautiful!  It's all rustic-looking with pine cones and berries.  It's going to look fabulous!

- I wrote a card to Holiday Mail for Heroes today.  Per the Red Cross:  "Once a year, we get the joy of delivering holiday greetings to veterans, military families and active-duty service members at hospitals and installations around the world."  It felt pretty awesome to send a little note of greetings and thanks to them.

- I had four homemade scarves to donate this winter.  I've been knitting for the sake of knitting on and off since July or August, and it feels good to give what I've made to a good cause.  I had an opportunity to sell my scarves in a local store a couple of months ago, but I had to turn it down.  Making and donating them to someone who really needs them makes me happy.  I don't have much to give, but it's a little something I can do.

- It snowed a couple of weeks ago!!  It was just flurries, but it was beautiful!  Falling from the sky that night were the quintessential six-pointed, perfectly shaped snowflakes.  I stared at them in wonder as they landed individually on my coat.  I've either never seen or just hadn't noticed any before.  Usually when I see snow, it's coming down in clumps, so maybe I just hadn't had the chance before.  Either way, it was beautiful and strange for November in this part of NC.  I loved it!

- We had a flood a couple of weeks ago too... at work.  I walked in one day to find the entire front of the building (the store, groom room, office, hallway, bathrooms, mini-kitchen, drying areas) under at least two inches of water.  A pipe had burst in a wall overnight, and who knows how long it had been pouring out.  We spent about two hours squeegeeing it all either out the front door or into a drain in the hallway bathroom.  It was rough.

All in all, life is still good.  This stretch from Halloween to New Years is my favorite time of year, and I am thoroughly enjoying it!

No comments:

Post a Comment