Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Bloggers Unite for EndoMarch: Weeks 1 & 2 - Basic Info and What the March Means to Me Personally

As I briefly mentioned before I will be attending the Million Woman March for Endometriosis in Washington DC in a couple of months.  I'm pretty damned stoked about it!  I just found out about this bloggers uniting thing and thought it would be awesome to participate.  Now, you and I both know that this blog has always been more like a teenage girl's diary than anything else, basically because it's where I come to vent and talk things out.  I thought it would be interesting to actually write about something important, so here we go....!

The EndoMarch is happening in country capitals all over the world on March 13, 2014.  Leading professionals in the endo field have organized this event to raise awareness for the ever-daunting endometriosis.  The hope is to bring much needed attention to this widely unheard of and misunderstood disease which affects so many women.  Everyone can be involved, whether attending in person or in spirit.  Registering is super easy and you can find everything thing you need to know here.

My last post (which you can find here) really ties into what this march means to me.  Since it's got a brief breakdown of my history with the disease, I won't go into it much again right now, but I will echo the feelings behind it...

I wish more than almost anything in this world that I had known what endo was back when I first started menstruating.  I wish I had known that the pain I felt was not normal even though other women in my family experienced the same.  I wish that I had sought help back then and possibly have been spared over a decade of excruciating pain.  I wish that I didn't have to wonder every single day about the status of my insides.  I wish that I knew if I'll ever be able to create a little life one day.

When I first learned of the EndoMarch, a smile spread wide across my face.  I look forward to it with great anticipation and I feel hope.  I am so very thankful that this disease is being taken seriously and that great effort is being put forth to do something about it.  To bring awareness of this "taboo women's period problem" to the masses.  To get women properly diagnosed and treated years earlier than they have been in the past.  To prevent damage that late diagnosis can lead to.  To one day find a cure.

I can only imagine how empowering it will feel to be standing in our country's capital as part of a worldwide event surrounded by so many endo sisters and supporters.  It's gonna be pretty awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment