Wednesday, August 8, 2012

IUD as Cancer Treatment

I read on FB that a friend of mine from back in the early elementary days was doing just that.  She was diagnosed with PCOS then underwent a D&C.  I guess they sent that off for testing and found out she had early stage uterine cancer.  Her doctor then decided that giving her an IUD would help to treat it.  That absolutely floored me.  It seems crazy that a birth control device could treat cancer.  Then I looked into it and read that some studies have found the progesterone in it to be effective treatment in some cases.  Crazy!  Unfortunately it didn't work for my friend.  She now has stage two, and last I heard she may be having a hysterectomy.  Breaks my heart.  She's my age and I know she wants to have children.

Speaking of children and Facebook (kinda)... I deactivated my account yesterday.  Night before last I found this website that currently for Google Chrome users can scan your news feed for certain key words and replace pictures of babies with cats or other things.  I thought it was hilarious and something that I would use if it became available for my web browser.  I posted a link to in on FB, and probably my best friend in town here (a mother though) had to make a snarky remark.  It kinda hurt my feelings.  She more than anyone else should understand why I wouldn't want to see pictures of other peoples' babies all over my news feed.  

Anyways, it got me thinking.  All I've seen on FB lately is worthless stuff.  People haven't been posting about their lives (well, other than their babies), and I really haven't been getting much out of it lately other than stress from all the drama.  So I got rid of it.  I'm hoping permanently.  They make it so easy to go back though, so if I go into withdrawals or something I can find comfort in the fact that my page and friends are still there exactly the way I left them.

So far so good though.

No comments:

Post a Comment