Friday, February 8, 2013

Sending Thanks to a Stranger

I remembered someone earlier this week and have been thinking about this person ever since. The morning after my ex first told me he wanted to take a break I headed back to NC. I dropped him off at work first and gave him what I wondered if would be our last kiss (turns out it was). Before leaving town I stopped at a gas station to fill up the tank, get some snacks and a pack of cigarettes for the road. It was pretty early in the morning and I was the only customer there.

I was fighting back the tears and trying my damnedest not to cry until I got back to the car. I was doing well until the attendant started making polite conversation. He made the comment that I didn't look the type to smoke, to which I replied with a slight forced smile that I didn't usually smoke much. Those words came out halfway decently. Then he said some more things, and as I replied a quick "Thanks, you too" to his "Have a nice day" my words got all garbled and the tears welled. Very embarrassed, I hurried out of the store and back to my car. I had to rearrange a few things and a minute or so later I got in the driver's seat. Right about then the attendant guy walked out of the store and right up to my door.

I rolled down the window, and he asked if I was alright. I insisted I was, but he kept pressing. He said he felt like he'd made me cry and felt awful. We were just having a conversation, and then I was all upset. He asked if there was anything he could help with and at some point even asked if it had to do with my husband. I lied and said I had some family things back home to attend to. He was then worried about how I'd be driving ten hours all upset like that. I told him I was used to the trip and would be fine.

He asked for my name then said something like "I will never forget that name and will always remember you. Will you please stop by when you come back to let me know you're okay?" I said I would. I think he told me his name was Joseph, but I'm not completely sure about that.

I did end up stopping back by when I actually left that town for the final time, but he wasn't there. I didn't want to ask "Hey, is there a Joseph that works here? Will you please tell him I'm okay?" That would have been weird. Plus, I remember him wearing a wedding band and I didn't want to potentially cause any problems or suspicion of such.

So, Joseph, if you're out there... I want to thank you for your kindness and concern for a stranger. I was in a rough spot, and you showed me compassion when I really needed it. I'm doing okay now.

No comments:

Post a Comment