Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Bloggers Unite for EndoMarch: Week 4 - Interview

This week's assignment is to interview someone you know who is attending the EndoMarch, or to have someone you know interview you.  I know some people in the FB world, but not in real life, so I asked one of my co-workers to come up with a few questions for me.  She also has endo and actually had a hysterectomy a few years ago because of it.

1.  What's happening at the march?

Hopefully, a great deal of raising awareness!  People will be gathering across the globe to spread the word.  Specifically in Washington, DC, there will be an actual march around the National Mall.  According to the event information page on the official website, there will be speakers and presentations as well as educational videos and patient testimonials.  Musical performances will be occurring throughout the day and there will be a dinner in the evening.

2.  Why are you going?

I think it's going to be an amazing day and an incredible experience.  Endometriosis can be a lonely disease.  It's misunderstood, and people who don't have it and experience it everyday just can't fully grasp what you're going through.  I hate that anyone has it, but I feel lucky to know a few women who do and can commiserate when there are bad days.  On the day of the march, I'm going to be surrounded by women who understand and supporters who want to raise awareness and find a cure as badly as we do.  It should be pretty inspiring.

3.  Why is it so important to you?

This disease can be debilitating.  I'm lucky to have found a medication that helps with my daily pain, but so many other women's lives are put on hold because they are in excruciating pain every day.  There is so much misinformation about the disease, and still to this day doctors tell women the pain is all in their heads or that it's normal and there is nothing wrong with them, among many other things that disregard and minimize her symptoms and struggles.  This is disgusting and completely unacceptable!!  Oftentimes, by the time a woman is accurately diagnosed, irreversible damage has been done to her body, and sometimes she is unable to conceive.

I don't know the status of my insides in regards to the disease.  I was in pain for years and thought it was normal.  I've wanted more than anything in my life to have children, but I don't know if I'll be able to.  If I do, I'm terrified that if I have a daughter, she will also be afflicted with this terrible disease.  My hope is that if that does come to fruition, that by the time it's discovered, there will be a cure.  For her, for me and for the 176 million other women who currently suffer. 

4.  What do you hope to accomplish at the march?

The goals of the march are to "empower, educate and effect change".  More specifically, according to the website, the founders want government-funded health organizations to spread awareness to the public.  They want to "launch nationwide educational campaigns and health screening in public schools" to help lead towards earlier diagnosis.  They want "to collaborate with our nation’s medical and nursing schools to launch endometriosis educational initiatives so that future physicians, nurses, nurse practitioners, and physician assistants can more readily recognize the symptoms of endometriosis and provide the appropriate care."  They want "to bring the plight of those with endometriosis to the attention of the media and general public."  I am so thankful for the organizers of this event and how they want to inspire change.

5.  What are you doing to prepare for it?

I'm psyching myself up!  Not that that is hard!  I am so excited to be attending but I do have social anxiety and am a little nervous about being around that many people.  I'll be going up there on my own and will not know anyone at all.  It's a busy place, and I imagine it will be a little intimidating.

I've booked a room at a hotel within walking distance to the National Mall so I won't have to battle traffic and parking issues.  It's actually at the oldest and longest running (100 years!) hotel in the city, so it should be pretty cool.  This will be my first time staying at a hotel all by myself!  It sounds weird, but I've always been with family, friends or a significant other before. 

I had a shirt printed up for the event:



I'm pretty stoked to have it to wear the day of the march and to commemorate the event after.  I'll be rocking my Chuck Taylors with yellow shoelaces and yellow socks.  My fingernails will also be yellow.  These all sound silly, but I love to do little things like that.

6.  What do you personally plan to do there all day?

I'm gonna soak it all in!  I want to attend all the presentations and learn as much as I can.  I hope to meet fellow "endo sisters" and make some friends and connections.  I'm going to march and feel the power that such a large group of strong women can produce.  I want to take pictures and document the day.  I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment