Monday, February 14, 2011

A Memorable Day

Three years ago today I got home from a long day at work to find a note from my then boyfriend taped to my front door.

"Meet me where we had our first kiss."

I remember being in scrubs and debating on whether or not I should change first, but I don't remember if I actually did or not.  I hope so though, as I was probably pretty smelly.  Anyways, I drove to Jack's Island (which is really more of a peninsula), a little area in a park that was about five minutes away and is where our first kiss occurred right before the park closed at 11pm four months earlier.


When I got there I parked my car and walked to the little river beach area where I found my handsome fella sitting on a blanket with two Jersey Mike's #13s waiting to be eaten.  He greeted me with "Happy Valentine's Day" and a kiss.  We sat on the blanket and he gave me my Valentine's Day gift.  It was a Book by You entitled Click for Love in which I am the main character and he is the man I fall in love with.  It was very appropriate because like the main characters, he and I also met online.

The entire time I was opening the present and looking at the book, he didn't seem too excited about it, like his mind was elsewhere.  I think I remember questioning him about this and I didn't have to wait long to find out.  He asked me, "How much do you love me?"  I replied, "So much!"  He then reached under the blanket behind him and pulled a white ring box out of a little hole he'd dug in the sand for it to wait in.

Nervously, he asked "Will you marry me?"

He opened the box and inside was the beautiful canary diamond ring my grandfather had given to my grandmother as an anniversary gift before I'd even been born.  I have always loved that ring and had pretty much made it public knowledge that I wanted it to be my engagement ring.

I was so happy!  Of course I said yes, and two and a half short months later he became my wonderful husband.

Headed to work the next morning

He was the first man I'd ever really let into my life who actually wanted to be there long-term.  Our dating and engagement periods were very short, but we both just knew almost immediately after getting together that it was right.  I am so thankful we're still just as happy today as we were then.

Oh, and in case you were wondering, this is what I'd gotten for him.


















It was a bottle of wine from this site where you can design your own label.  Not as great as his gift, but he loved it.  I honestly don't remember if I took it with me when I went to meet him at the park but I certainly hope so, otherwise what a terrible girlfriend I was!

Happy Valentine's Day!

2 comments: