Wednesday, March 13, 2013

House Hunters NC

I'm pretty sure I want to buy a house this summer.  I've looked at two older houses and two newer ones recently, and from a practical standpoint I need to purchase a newer one.  I just can't afford the upkeep on an old one at this point in my life.  So, as of right now the two newer ones are in the running, and I can't seem to decide which one I like better.

House #1:   Two bed, two bath with an upstairs loft.  The floors in the living/dining area are beautiful bamboo, and the kitchen floors have been redone with a pretty new tile.  The stairs give the space a lot of personality, although the living area is a little cramped.  It's in a cookie cutter neighborhood and the houses are all pretty close together, but it doesn't seem like it.  It's got a decent back yard with a concrete patio.  I LOVE the inside of the house, but the outside and location could be better.  No driveway or garage, just parking lot spaces.  No HOA fees.




House #2:  Two bed, two bath with a mirror image layout of #1, but no loft.  Because there aren't any stairs, the main living area and kitchen are roomier.  But the inside has no personality and is totally carpeted, which I hate and would rip out eventually, plus it needs a few repairs.  It's also in a cookie cutter neighborhood right down the way from #1, but it's on a cul-de-sac and has a garage with a two-car driveway.  It has a huge back yard and big wooden deck.  It does have pricey HOA fees which would cover lawn care for the front yard only.




Price-wise they're only $5,000 apart, so that doesn't really sway me one way or another.  My head says #2, but my heart is conflicted.  I love the inside of #1 but the outside of #2.  I love the loft in #1, but I honestly don't know if I'd really use it.  #2 seems to be a better investment for the price and would have better resale value with the garage and yard, but it has no personality inside.  Plus it would need work.  #1 needs much less work and is perfect inside, but I'd miss the yard and garage.  #2 I would have to save up to customize (new floors and such) which would have to be done a little at a time.

In the long run I think #2 is the best option, but it would be nice to move right into #1 and not have to do anything to it.

Decisions, decisions.  Not a bad one to have to make though!

No comments:

Post a Comment