Thursday, June 17, 2010

Starry Morning

Stars have a hypnotic affect. We moved here from the city a few weeks ago, and I think I’d forgotten just how many are up there. The buildings and street lights always blocked them out, as if trying to make us forget there is something greater out there and to forever keep us in their grasp. It was a completely different world, and I feel now as though I’ve escaped, although I do at times miss the closeness. But was it really closeness, or were we all just closed in? We seemed to all move together, but really we were each very, very separate and a lot of times going the wrong way.

It’s different here. Although still separate, it feels like we’re all heading in a similar direction. Everyone’s ultimate goal is different, but we all really just want the same thing. I think the stars play a part in that.

I’ve been so focused on the sun since arriving here that it hadn’t even occurred to me to give the night sky a chance once again. An opportunity arose last night, just after midnight, and it was like a soul reawakening. I was immediately taken back to my teenage years, sitting with friends in the middle of a wide open field with nothing and no one else around. We’d gaze up and laugh about our dreams, wondering what was in store for us. Those days were full of chaos, but moments like that made it all worth it. The stars made anything possible.

Looking up at them last night I started to feel that way once more. Older and maybe only a little wiser now, I know there are limits and not quite everything you dream can come to be. But for a few moments it was nice to feel that awe again.

No comments:

Post a Comment