Saturday, November 27, 2010

A pity party, a recap, and a plan...

Why do I get so worked up and jealous over other people’s lives and situations? I guess it’s just because they get to have what I want, and for a lot of them it seems to come so easy. Am I ever going to get over it? For the next year or so before we start trying again and however long before we actually do get pregnant, am I going to turn into some crazy sad lady with a ruined day(s) every time I hear someone I know is knocked up? Cause that’s going to be a lot of ruined days if so, and I don’t want that. I want to be genuinely happy for them without the resentment behind it. I’ll have to work on that.

On to happier things now. We had a good Thanksgiving, and I hope you all did too. We stayed home, had a friend over and cooked a huge meal. We got a fresh turkey from a local farm this year, and it was delicious. I made my first completely from scratch pecan pie, and it turned out pretty well. I also made bread, cranberry waldorf, and mozzarella and parmesan mashed potatoes. The husband did the turkey, Brussels sprouts with bacon, gravy, and made cornbread which the roommate turned into dressing. The friend made veggie and goat cheese fritters. I love goat cheese.

My pretty pie
Part of the spread
They guys cooking.  I know it's weird,
but we're going for anonymity here.
The husband is working fourteen hours straight today, so I’m going to fill my time with Christmas decorating (if I can manage to find time during this pity party I’m throwing!). We’d had a little 3-foot fake tree in the past, but we ran out of room in the moving truck this summer, so it got left behind. We decided not to get another one until we’re settled somewhere for the long haul, so I’m just going to string lights up around the rooms and maybe hang some ornaments from those. We’ve still got our pretty wreath to go on the front door, and that’s one of my favorite Christmas things we have.

The husband wants to put lights up (tastefully) on the outside of the house too. None of our parents approved of that kind of thing when we were kids, but we’d both always wanted to, so we decided to go ahead and do it this year now that we're in an actual house. We've been in either a duplex, a townhouse or an apartment every previous Christmas. Wow... since we've been together we've lived in a different place every Christmas. Huh. Anyways, we don’t have a ladder, so it should be interesting.

Happy start to the holidays! This is my favorite time of year. I can't wait to write Christmas cards!

No comments:

Post a Comment