Tuesday, April 22, 2014

The word neurosurgeon scares the crap out of me...

So much has happened in the past 24 hours that my mind is spinning.  It was really only one doctor appointment, but so much went down.  I couldn't take the pain anymore and went into the local urgent care place when they opened at 8am yesterday.  I got the nicest doctor who just happened to be returning to work after three weeks off to recover from the exact same thing I have.  He was so sympathetic and made me feel like a priority.

I was in tears as he examined me, testing each leg.  I ended up getting X-rays and an MRI which told him that I have a protruding disc that is pinching the sciatic nerve.  And that it's pretty bad.  He said it's past the point where a chiropractor can help and gave me a referral to a local neurosurgeon, and that appointment isn't until next Thursday.  He said no work until I'm all better and he releases me.  He said the surgeon will probably suggest one of two things... epidural steroid injections or surgery.  Both sound just lovely.

He prescribed me Vicodin, which I've never taken before and does not seem to be helping one bit.  I actually feel worse now, and it makes me sleepy all the time.  To be fair though, there was a lot going on yesterday to aggravate the pain, so I'll give it a couple of days before requesting something else, if that's even possible.  I literally could not stand or walk this morning.  I got out of bed and thought I was going to pass out from the pain.

I'm freaking out.  I may have to have back surgery, which I was never expecting to have, especially at 31!  The pain medication is not working and I can barely get out of bed.  I'm out of work for who knows how long.  It's all a bit overwhelming right now.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry you've been in so much pain and sorry to hear you may have to have surgery! I hope the pain meds start to help soon and give you some relief.

    ReplyDelete