Friday, August 13, 2010

The Long-Awaited Appointment

The wait was extremely long, and I was surrounded by pregnant people in the waiting rooms. Huge bellies, medium bellies, little hints of bellies that will become huge very soon. A lot of them belonged to very young and angry looking teenagers. That made me sad. I got naked and sat in a cold room for another long wait. The doctor eventually came in and was so warm and caring that I didn't mind how long I'd been waiting anymore. I love her! Sooo much better than my first ever gyno who, while standing outside the door yelled in disbelief that I hadn’t had a lady exam before that. Announce it to the whole world and make me even more nervous, why dontcha?! I found out later she was fired for bad bed-side manner.

Anyways, the new wonderful doctor lady found a cyst behind my cervix and said it might be what’s been causing a lot of my problems. She also said it might be endometriosis. I didn’t know endo could be in the pachingo (vagina... totally stole that from Scrubs), but sure, why not. She spread me wide open, poked, prodded and took a biopsy. It wasn’t pleasant. It hurt a lot actually. She kept apologizing for torturing me and decided to hold off on the internal ultrasound for my sake. That might come next week. She said laparoscopy, D&C and some other one I can’t remember are possibilities.

She ordered blood work to check hormones and to rule out infection, and I go back next week to see what it all says. When it was time to have blood drawn I freaked out... not sure why, I've had it done a million times before and been fine. Anyways, they left the door open for that and everyone in the second waiting room got to hear me being a wuss about it all. I could feel the eyes as I walked out. Cherry on top.
 
This crap is expensive without insurance. Today alone cost… well a lot. Luckily since I was able to pay, excuse me, charge today’s visit in full, twenty percent was knocked off. And that twenty percent was almost two hundred dollars. The lady who checked me out said she didn’t even know how much some of the other stuff costs and she’ll call me when she finds out. That can’t be good.

My amazing husband is wonderful. He said no matter what the cost we’ll take care of it and get me all fixed. My best friend reassured that all would turn out fine, but she added that dreaded “Just don’t stress and it’ll happen.” I know she meant well. I want to call my mom so badly, but I don’t want her to worry, which I know she will. My step-dad’s first wife died from cervical cancer, and I know he’d be a mess until next week too. He’s already in bad enough health, and the added stress wouldn’t be good for him.

Okay, pity party over. Just needed to get that out.

2 comments:

  1. Sorry it was a bit of an ordeal :(

    Also sorry that you have to pay for all of it yourself - wow! We have the NHS here, which is considered far from perfect, but whenever I hear about the problems you US ladies face without full insurance, I am eternally grateful for it. It sucks big time that those sorts of tests are not covered by the state.

    Good on DH for being fully on-side with you - the support of your your man really helps. I can understand you wanting to keep it from your Mum and Step-dad, but maybe their support would help?

    I will be keeping my fingers crossed for good results next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does suck. As an adult I've only had insurance for about a year when I was covered on DH's when he was in the military. It's just too expensive otherwise.

    I'll definitely call my mom next weekend if the results aren't that great. I should know more then so I'll be able to give them some actual information. They don't even know we're TTC. I was hoping we'd get pregnant early on and be able to surprise them, but oh well. If the news is all good I probably will still wait.

    Thanks so much for your support!

    ReplyDelete