Friday, September 3, 2010

This Little Piggy...

When I was around 22 or so I had toe surgery. I was not blessed with all perfect toes and wanted to have one straightened out. So when it came time the doctor injected my toe with a numbing agent. I’ve gotten better with needles over the years, but I certainly wasn’t too keen on them back then. Even so, I thought I did pretty good… I just looked away so I didn’t have to watch. I didn’t freak out or anything. I didn’t even flinch. I simply turned my head. After seeing this the doctor asked me if I had any children. I replied that I did not. He then said one of the most audacious things I’ve ever heard come out of a doctor’s mouth:

“You probably shouldn’t if you can’t handle the pain from one little toe.”


I did a double take! Did he really just say that?!? I was shocked and unfortunately all I could do was stare at him in disbelief. If he hadn’t had a knife in his hand about to operate on my toe I would have given him a few words to ponder. That toe is still crooked.

He ranked right up there with the doctor who had me hold my arms out while he pushed down on them and asked questions as a lie-detector test. I've always had the least amount of upper body strength of just about anyone... I always failed in gym class when it came time for push-ups, pull-ups or to climb that damn rope. So when this doctor was on his fifteenth question and my arms were about to fall off, he determined that I was lying about eating too much sugar and that's what had been causing all of my adolescent headaches. My back and eyes had nothing to do with it...

On a different note, I did end up jinxing myself with the previous post. Wouldn’t you know the very next day I woke up with some spotting. How rude! Then I thought, hey, it could be implantation! It did go away for a couple of days, but it’s back now and brought its friend, cramping. I’m not giving up hope though! I’m telling myself for now that it’s due to the little bit of pachingo cyst still up there. Yep, that’s what it is. ;) I guess we’ll find out in a few days!

No comments:

Post a Comment