Wednesday, October 20, 2010

They're not from around these parts...

The visit with the in-laws was really nice and pretty funny at times. I got to take them in the back door where the husband works and they got to see him in action cooking. The father-in-law was a proud papa after that! We ate at two of the restaurants the chef owns. They got a tour of a third and the smokehouse and cheese operation they run. We had a cookout at home and watched football. It was rather relaxing.

She got really excited to see cotton, 
so we had to pull over :)
They’re northerners and seem to think that southerners are a different species. I was born and raised in the south, so it was amusing to listen to. They asked me if I thought Mississippi southerners were any different than North Carolina southerners. The stepmother-in-law was constantly in awe of how everyone down here has a truck. We went shopping downtown and she commented whenever she heard someone with a thick southern accent. We visited a little country store which was closed and the owner was so sweet to open up for us. When we left, the father-in-law remarked, “Now THAT was a good ‘ol boy!”

A few years ago I drove to northern Ohio in the winter to visit the husband (who was then the boyfriend), and even now the father-in-law recounts the tale he made up of how I was questioning my sanity to drive up there in the snow. Oh yeah, he thought I’d never seen snow before either. I had always been a little taken aback by him, but now I think it’s endearing. Family’s funny like that. They used to drive me crazy, but now I miss them like crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment