Thursday, October 28, 2010

Creepy Crawly Things

I am so damn tired of spiders!! They’re absolutely everywhere! I know, I know… they’re more scared of you than you are of them, they won’t bother you if you leave them alone… I’ve heard it all and I don’t buy any of it. I used to attempt to be of the mindset that they’ll go along their merry way if you let them, but that quickly changed when we moved here. These are crazy scary looking and freakin huge. I can’t stand to look at pictures online for more than a minute or so (and even then I’ve got my hand over my eyes and I’m just barely peeking out), but from what I’ve seen ours look just like brown recluses.

There’s a section of woods right behind our house, so it’s understandable that we’d have some inside. But this is an invasion. We put glue boards down around the baseboards and we’re catching a ton and still finding a ton more crawling around at night. More than once I’ve come close to stepping on one when walking down the dark hallways. We’ve each taken a few turns dreaming about them at night and waking up thinking they’re on us. It’s icky.


"Brown Recluse spiders are the Navy seals, the Green Berets...and
the Top Guns of the spider world."
Kansas State University - Brown Recluse Research Project

I totally believe it and I think ours are getting stronger and stealthier by the day. One was on a sticky board the other morning, all good and stuck right. Then a few hours later… POOF!... he was gone. Just like that. Not cool, spider, not cool.

I hate when the guys are gone and I have to get one. First I have to give myself a little pep talk, and then when it’s all over and done with I prance about like the girl I am doing the icky dance. It involves me hopping from one foot to the other going “Ewwww! Ewwww! Ewwww!” When the husband’s home I usually jump up on the couch (or chair, or counter, etc…) and refuse to come down. It’s an effective method because after first looking at me like I’m nuts, he does in fact get the spider. Go husband.

Sweet dreams!

2 comments:

  1. I love spiders! All the babies are grown up from the summer so it seems like there are loads around at the moment. I have a huge one living on my front door and we are very careful not to bust his web when we come in!

    The only creepy crawlies I'm not good with is worms - they evoke the ewwwwws! from me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww... I bet that's cute if you like spiders. I think the ones we have are poisonous and I worry that they'll bite one of our pets (or us!) which wouldn't be good. Otherwise I would probably leave them alone if there weren't so many!

    ReplyDelete