Thursday, October 14, 2010

This and That

So the in-laws are coming tomorrow. And the roommate’s parents arrive Saturday. No special occasion, just a coincidence that they want to visit their offspring the same weekend. What am I doing? Lots of cleaning and a little freaking out. I’m so scared all these parents are going to be like “Well you’re not working, so what do you do all day?” if the house isn’t completely spotless. I started earlier this week and plan on devoting the rest of today to finishing the scrub down.

The main thing I’m worried about is the roommate’s bathroom… it’s freakin scary in there. The shower is moldy/mildewey and the smell is terrible. I tried to be diplomatic, asking if I could “girly” up the room while the parents are visiting, since it is technically our guest bathroom too, and he said he’d clean it first. I got so happy! I hope he actually follows through, or else I’m just going to crack the door, stick my arm in and wave the bleach bottle around hoping it’ll splash in the right places. Not really, but you know.

Reese's Cake
I made a fantastic cake for the roommate’s birthday Tuesday. I call it a Reese’s cake… chocolate with peanut butter icing and Reese’s Cups bits sprinkled on top. It was yummy! The cake recipe is the one the husband and I used to make our wedding cake, and it brought back memories of standing in his dad’s kitchen making and wasting multiple batches because they kept sticking in the pans. I made some ice cream too and it worked out pretty well. I’d never made ice cream with eggs before, and it was so creamy!

Petting the pig
The husband and I and a friend went to a local farm yesterday. We’ve still been trying to get most of our food from local and organic sources, and this farm has some great stuff. They raise their own chickens, goats, cows and pigs. They make awesome goat cheese and have delicious eggs. When we first pulled up, a big intimidating black dog walked right up to my car door and didn’t look like she would let me out. Turns out she was an old softy just saying hello. There were also numerous chickens and ducks on patrol. 

We had made an appointment earlier in the week with the farmer, but I guess the message wasn’t passed on to the lady of the farm, as she had no idea we were coming. She was so sweet though and her four children running around looked so happy. It would be nice to grow up like that. We ended up getting several chickens, a couple dozen eggs and some breakfast sausage, then headed back home. On the way, we had to pull over to have the husband’s picture taken with a big pig we’d seen on the way in. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment