Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Irene

This is my smiling puppy at the park today.


A few days ago that park was under an enormous amount of water.  Today, trees were down all around and picnic tables that had been secured to the ground in concrete were moved to new locations as determined by Hurricane Irene.

This is what she did at my house.



Moments before it fell, I was looking at it through my roommate's window and watching the swing attached to a strong branch blow from side to side.  I decided that the wind had calmed down just enough to take the puppy out, since he hadn't been out since the storm had arrived and had to go.  So I walked to the front door to get his leash, and then I turned around and looked outside again through the back door.  The tree was down.  In a matter of what couldn't have been more than fifteen seconds this huge piece of the earth just tumbled down.  Thank goodness it fell the way it did and not the other and onto the house.

I got lucky.  During the past two days I've talked to so many people who have lost absolutely everything.  Their houses, cars, all personal belongings.  But they still had their pets, and they needed a safe place to put their precious family members until they can figure out how they're going to regroup and start over.  It's been absolutely heartbreaking hearing all of their stories.  I'm glad we can help to give them one less thing to worry about for a little while.

In 1999 my best friends lost their house and most of their belongings to flooding caused by Hurricane Floyd.  The water rose to just under the top of their chimney.  During this storm, a friend awoke to her yard completely flooded.  At one point she posted pictures and stated pretty matter-of-factually that her home would soon be too.  I immediately told her that her family could stay with me, but she said, "Thanks but we can't get out now, its too late.  It will be in my house in about an hour I think."  I was terrified for her.  Luckily the water finally stopped just one inch shy of entering her house.


I know I whine and complain a lot here, but I am very thankful for what I do have.  As of right now my family and friends are safe and mostly healthy and happy.  They are what matter most to me, and I am a very lucky girl.

1 comment:

  1. So sad to see that tree down, but I'm glad to hear that was the worst of the damage.

    ReplyDelete